Ketchup on Ice Cream “I don’t understand,” Jonathan said with a growing frown. “Why can’t I put these silly stories in the movie for my assignment?”
“Your teacher asked you to take a video of everyone’s speech and then edit it into a class movie, yes?” I began. “Well, everything in your movie needs to accomplish your primary purpose. The silly stories are fun but they distract from your primary purpose.”
Jonathan’s eyes saddened, “I still don’t understand, Mom.”
Pausing, I searched for vocabulary that would make sense to my son then asked, “Would you put ketchup on ice cream?” Jonathan smiled as I continued, “Ketchup is great and ice cream is great, but they don’t belong in the same place at the same time. Your silly stories are great, but they belong in a different place than your school assignment.”
Jonathan’s brows lifted and with a glance that silently said, “Thanks for loving me,” he was off to edit his movie.
"Wisdom calls us to de-clutter our days,
to allow each good thing enough space
to be appreciated and enjoyed"
Ketchup on ice cream … We are all susceptible to blending too many good things together, of making days too full and schedules too tight, of adding one great thing on top of another … and ending up with a distractible mess that somehow has lost its primary meaning.
Wisdom calls us to de-clutter our days, to allow each good thing enough space to be appreciated and enjoyed, to savor beginnings and endings as opposed to blurring these moments by rushing toward the next great thing.
Each moment is a treasure. (Pass the ice cream, please.)
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Ketchup on Ice Cream
I had to share this story that was in my MOPS email for the week. It's so true. I know we constantly have a full schedule and one of our many Goals for 2010 is to control our commitments. This story reminded me of that goal! It's time to declutter our schedules!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment